We are happy to announce the addition of BOTOX® Cosmetic treatment to our office!
WHAT IS BOTOX®?
BOTOX® is prescription medication that uses a special protein to block overactive muscle contractions. This reduction in muscle activity smoothes lines giving the skin a healthy, more youthful appearance.
HOW LONG DOES IT LAST?
Visible changes in your appearance can last up to 4 months. Results vary from person to person with regard to areas treated; this is something that is addressed at your initial consult prior to the procedure.
AM I A GOOD CANDIDATE FOR BOTOX?
Botox may or may not be the right treatment for you. The best candidates for treatment with Botox are:
- Between the ages of 18 and 65
- Diagnosed with, and experiencing discomfort from TMJ
- Concerned with removing wrinkles and fine lines
- Looking for a non-surgical skin treatment
- Aware that Botox results are temporary
- In good physical and psychological health
- Willing to discuss their concerns and desires with their dentist before treatment
WHAT IS MY INITIAL CONSULT?
A medical history will be taken and evaluated prior to procedure. In addition, a facial examination will be performed in order to decide the most effective injection sites. Any issues or concerns are addressed at this time prior to injection.
HOW IS BOTOX PLACED?
BOTOX® Cosmetic injections are performed without anesthesia because they are virtually painless. Only a very small pinch is felt when the injections are made. The effects are not permanent and may need to be repeated two to three times per year to retain the effects. Research has suggested, however, that long term use of the injections leads to a longer duration of each treatment's effect. Patients over the age of 65 may not experience such dramatic results. BOTOX® Cosmetic is only useful in treating expression lines and cannot be used to repair sagging skin caused by aging.
WHAT CAN I EXPECT AFTER MY BOTOX PROCEDURE?
After the procedure patients may experience slight bruising around the area that quickly fades. Normal activities can be performed immediately. Possible side effects are temporary weakness of nearby muscles or in rare cases an eyelid may droop. BOTOX® Cosmetic is completely reversible so any side effect is only a temporary condition.
Other side effects of BOTOX® Cosmetic can include: (but are not limited to)
- dry mouth
- discomfort or pain at the injection site
- neck pain
- eye problems such as double vision, blurred vision, decreased eyesight, drooping eyelids, swelling of your eyelids, and dry eyes
- allergic reactions; symptoms of an allergic reaction to BOTOX® or BOTOX® Cosmetic may include: itching, rash, red itchy welts, wheezing, asthma symptoms, or dizziness or feeling faint. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you are wheezing or have asthma symptoms, or if you become dizzy or faint. Tell your doctor if you have any side effect that bothers you or that does not go away.
If you feel that you are a good candidate for a Botox treatment, and are interested in learning more, please contact our practice to schedule a consultation. We will be happy to answer any questions you may have.